Bentley Old Vicarage Nature Reserve
Bentley Old Vicarage Nature Reserve is a small site, lying north of All Saints' Church on the Uxbridge Road, in Harrow Weald. Together with the churchyard of All Saints’ to its immediate south, it forms a quiet oasis off this busy road. Where the reserve is now was the old vicarage, built along with the church itself in 1848. The vicarage fell out of use in 1924 and was finally demolished in 1955. A few of the trees on the site now are relics of the vicarage garden while most have grown up since that time. In 1987 a group of volunteers took over the site and were soon sponsored by the Herts and Middlesex Wildlife Trust. The site is now managed by volunteers from the Harrow Nature Conservation Forum.
Nature Reserve
The nature reserve itself is a quiet area of woodland dominated by oak and ash. The reserve is rich in woodland bird species. In winter mixed flocks of tits, including tiny and lovely long-tailed tits, forage in the trees, constantly calling to each other. In summer listen for the drumming of great spotted woodpeckers. Kestrels have nested in the church tower most years, and can be seen trying, unsuccessfully, to drive away crows, magpies and jays.
Woodland Adventure Forest School Harrow Team